In the early summer of 1900 The Milwaukee Journal reported that the name of the Seventh Wisconsin regiment was cut out of a battle flag which was on display in the Capitol rotunda. In response, the battle flags were moved to the newly constructed State Historical Society building near the university campus.
“The 192 flags, carried in the war of the rebellion and the Spanish American war, which have been the center of interest in the capitol rotunda for some time, were this afternoon removed to the new library building, to pass into the keeping of the State Historical Society. Adjutant General Boardman issued the order to Quartermaster General Solliday to deliver them to the society, and take Secretary Thwaites receipt therefore, and Gen Solliday and Assistant Quartermaster Williams have been busy today arranging for the transfer. The historical society will place the relics in air-tight cases where they may be preserved indefinitely. A detail of old soldiers from the capitol escorted the flags to their new home.” Wisconsin State Journal, December 26, 1900.
