The 44th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment was organized at Camp Randall in Madison, Wisconsin, and sent forward by companies.
Company A left the state on October 10, 1864, going directly to Nashville, Tennessee, and was followed by four other companies at various dates before the Battle of Nashville on December 14-16, 1864. During that battle, the battalion was on duty in the trenches to the right of Fort Negley. They subsequently engaged in patrol and garrison duty.
In February 1865, the other five companies reported at various dates, and the regiment continued on guard and garrison duty at Nashville until March 9, when they transferred to Eastport, Mississippi. The regiment returned to Nashville on April 3 and was then transferred to Paducah, Kentucky, where it remained performing the same duties until August 28, 1865, when they mustered out of the service of the United States. The regiment returned to Madison, Wisconsin, on September 2, 1865, and was disbanded.
The regiment lost an officer and 57 men to disease during their service.
For Further Research
Search our collections for photos and artifacts from Wisconsin in the Civil War. Read about other Wisconsin Civil War regiments. For detailed regimental histories of the U.S. Civil War, consult the Frederick H. Dyer, Compendium of the War of the Rebellion: Regimental Histories.
The histories above, unless otherwise noted, are adopted from Charles E. Estabrook, ed., Records and Sketches of Military Organizations, (Madison, 1914).